Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Print Media

Today I renewed my subscription to the Globe and Mail. I always feel some hesitation at this, but I do like getting a newspaper. I don't really like the Globe though, and I complain about it often. I don't think they have any really excellent columnists, and there are two writers that I think are consistently idiotic, illogical, vapid (Margaret Wente and Leah McLaren -- does anyone read these bozos seriously?). There's something I like about holding the paper, reading it while I have my breakfast and coffee. I think it's part of my addiction to information. I like that it's a national paper, which is why I don't subscribe to the Montreal Gazette. Perhaps if I move to Ottawa, I'll subscribe to the Ottawa Citizen, though I really don't know anything about it.

I love magazines. I also renewed my subscription to the Walrus, and I hope the magazine stays good under the new editor. I usually like Vogue, but sometimes it bothers me (the whole Sex and the City spread, recently). I got a copy of Vogue India recently, and it's pretty good, but I hope it will improve with time. For a more local take on fashion I subscribe to Fashion magazine, based in Toronto--I like their pages on different shops in Canadian cities. I've been trying to save money, so I've been reading Vanity Fair and the New Yorker online instead of buying them. When I feel like splurging I get the Sunday Times...so good but $10/issue! I have so many books to read and so much work, but I do love newspapers and magazines. It's too bad getting a job in journalism is so impossible...maybe more so than academe!

The obligatory comment: I don't think the internet will kill print media. Yes, it's suffering, but I'm online more than most people and I still enjoy holding what I'm reading, being able to take it around. And I always recycle!

P.S. I'm getting the hang of using the links feature, as you can tell.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I went to an English bookstore the other day and I thought of you I when I was going through the magazine section!